Monday, September 26, 2011

A question to my peers

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else was having a problem with trying to find resources for things when you are restricted so much as in the smallest community outline.  I also had a hard time finding any real issues that I felt where worthy of both a discussion and writing assignment.  I live on a military installation and although you would think that there are a lot of different things to tell you what to do or how to do it there was really only one document that governed the living areas.  Trying to come up with a second source was really hard for me so I was curious if anyone else had ideas of where to look for information.

5 comments:

  1. Nikki, I found it EXTREMELY hard to find evidence for my two smaller communities. It took hours! Then they all seemed to not fit into any of the MLA works cited models. This was definitely the most time consuming and challenging assignment yet.

    For statistics and polls I found a site called Rasmussen Reports, that was a good resource. If I was Googling something, and I wanted to find someone who supported that exact sentence I had in mind, I would put it in quotation marks in the search bar. That sometimes helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nikki, I also found it hard to find evidence for the small communities. What I found useful was coming up with a list of communities that I am a part of such as hobbies, and work. I looked heavily at my hobbies and was able to find several of my hobbies are controversial. They may not be something many people are concerned about but there are a few which makes an argument! I dont know if that helped but I looked at this assignment from an odd angle to find my communities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nikki. I also found this very difficult to do. Actually it was the hardest part of the assignment. I found it very helpful to look back on the assignment in set 1 and read the prompts for example. Why do writers disagree? Are there disagreements about facts? About underlying values, beliefs, and assumptions?

    These questions allowed me to think deeper about the topic I was writting my outline on. And think about the reasons why I chose the claim I chose and why others would disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also found this to be a difficult task, especially the smallest community. Being that I dont have any hobbies anymore, between college and work:) I found that I had to write about something that I use or do on a daily basis, so I chose computers. I don't know if this was the best topic, but there was alot of information about them, as you can imagine, online. I am, probably like most of you guys, not just out of high school, so I remembered a time when there was not all this technology. Seemed like simpler times, but I am not sure if it was or not. Anyways, enough rambling on, yes this was difficult for me, but if you put your mind to it and really think about a few activities you do on a daily basis, you will get it, if you haven't already. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The list on p. 379 of Hacker gives you source types galore. Then the source is shown for citing it as well. You have to piece together what you know about the basic entry format and include additional info to cover the details needed for your particular source.
    I think you forget about talking to someone as a source of agreement or support.

    ReplyDelete